Friday, August 2, 2013

An epiphany (sort of) about the future

Do you all read The Pioneer Woman? Who am I kidding...of course you do. She's like the most popular blogger on the planet. Anyway...I was perusing her site today for new recipes like I often do and I came across this post on freezer meals. As I scanned her tips and suggestions for hearty, homecooked meals (I always want to do Suzy Homemaker-type things like freeze meals) I thought, "These look scrumptious, but we don't need that much food." As soon as the thought unrolled from my brain I stopped and realized, as if for the first time, that someday I will.

Today I seriously considered for maybe the first time ever that my two boys (ages 3 and 5 months) will someday be teenagers and eventually full-grown men (gasp). After I finished laughing at myself for being so caught off guard by this very obvious truth, my heart swelled with anticipation.

I can't wait until there are hungry, growing boys sitting around my dinner table.  I can't wait to cook them chicken and noodles, and big pots of chili and lasagnas. I can't wait for them to have a favorite meal that only I can prepare just right.

I can't wait for them to arrive home "starving" after school. I can't wait to have their favorite snacks ready.

I can't wait until they outgrow me. I can't wait until they wow me with their courtesy and respect for women.

Now I know these may seem like simple, obvious things, but we're up to our elbows in baby formula and PB&Js right now. These thoughts about the future remind me that these days are numbered and that I should both cherish this present and look forward to the future.

No doubt about it, I'm raising men. They'll be good ones too, if I have anything to say about it!


1 comment:

  1. I love this, Kel! You are raising good men, no question in my mind. They likely will, however, eat you out of house and home! And you'll love every minute of it!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete